Several flights made “precautionary” emergency landings after “strange smells” were detected in their cockpits.
Ophelia developed over the eastern tropical Atlantic and moved north. As a result dust from the Sahara and smoke from wildfires occurring over northern Iberia has been brought northwards to the atmosphere at our latitudes.
These emergency landings may be linked to unusual atmospheric conditions caused by ex-hurricane Ophelia.
Some of them:
- Flybe BE3127 from Manchester to Paris CDG returned to Manchester
- easyJet U21918 from Alicante to Manchester
- easyjet U21841 to Hamburg returned to Manchester
- Virgin Atlantic VS15 to Orlando returned to London Gatwick
- British Airways BA232 from Moscow to London Heathrow
At least 6 flights requested an emergency landing in UK today.