Ryanair has released a video it claims is proof that a widely shared photo of crew sleeping on an airport floor was fake.
The grainy footage apparently shows some uniformed crew members arranging themselves in sleeping positions in a corner of the room before the photo was taken.
The SNPVAC union, which represents Portuguese airline crews, has alleged that 24 Ryanair crew members – eight pilots and 16 cabin crew – were forced to spend the night on the floor of an airport office in Malaga, Spain, without access to food or water, after their Porto-bound flights were diverted.
The incident occurred after four Ryanair crews bound for Portugal were diverted to Malaga Airport because of storms in Portugal. Twenty-eight Ryanair employees spent the night in the crew room at the airport as the airline claimed that all hotels in the Malaga region were booked.
The footage was posted on Ryanair’s Twitter account with the caption: “Ryanair exposes fake photo of cabin crew sleeping in crew room”.
Researchers at the University of Dayton Research Institute are showing what can happen when a small drone strikes the wing of an aircraft.
The team mimicked a collision between a 2.1-pound DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter and a Mooney M20 aircraft.
Video shows the drone ripping through the plane’s wing in conditions that simulate a crash taking place at 383 km/h.
“We wanted to help the aviation community and the drone industry understand the dangers that even recreational drones can pose to manned aircraft before a significant event occurs,” said Kevin Poormon, group leader for impact physics at UDRI in a blogpost. “But there is little to no data about the type of damage UAVs can do, and the information that is available has come only from modeling and simulations.”
The FAA says it receives more than 100 reports a month of unmanned aircraft sightings.
The largest Cyprus-based airline Cobalt airlines was expected to ground its flights as of midnight on Wednesday.
The company failed to reach a deal with a potential European investor. According to Economy Today, the company has only €15 million its accounts, which are expected to be used to pay the employees.
In statements on Wednesday night transport minister Vasiliki Anastasiadou said she could neither confirm nor deny the news the airline was heading towards closure.
All of the airline’s flights for Wednesday are expected to arrive as scheduled with the last one coming in to Larnaca International Airport from London’s Heathrow at 12:10am, according to the Hermes airport’s website.
Officially, Cobalt has declined comment. But sources within the company attributed the liquidity problems to a difficulty by Chinese investors to export capital due to Chinese government restrictions.
The airline employs around 200 people. In 2018 the airline flew to 23 destinations.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) says the flight crew of Rex flight RXA768 should be commended for their response after the right hand propeller of their Saab 340B sheared off near Sydney Airport on 17 March 2017.
The Saab, registration VH-NRX, was flying between the regional town of Albury in the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW) to the NSW state capital, Sydney. The ATSB investigation which was released last week, stated that about 102km (55NM) South West of Sydney Airport the flight “crew noticed uncommanded engine indications and began” working the checklists. The vibrations worsened as the checklist was being performed and became visually evident to the First Officer. “As a result, the crew commenced the engine shutdown procedure. During the procedure, the propeller separated from the aircraft. The crew made a PAN PAN call to air traffic control, and completed the engine shutdown procedure.”
The missing propeller was found about 19km (10NM) South-West of Sydney Airport by NSW Police Aviation Support Branch on 21 March 2017.
The ATSB has released the final report into the in-flight loss of a propeller involving a Saab 340B while on approach to Sydney Airport in March 2017. The ATSB found the crew demonstrated a high level of professionalism in their response to the incident: https://t.co/YusDrPYB94pic.twitter.com/aZ5XPMabLi
The ATSB’s inspection of the propeller found the propeller gear box (PGB) shaft fractured. “Subsequent laboratory analysis of the propeller shaft revealed that the failure occurred as a result of a fatigue crack that had initiated from the PGB propeller shaft flange dowel pin hole.” Neither the ATSB or the manufacturer were able to conclusively determine the original cause of the fatigue crack.
It was further “found that the manufacturer’s maintenance documentation did not include specific inspection procedures to detect fatigue cracking of the propeller shaft. In addition, the operator’s inspection worksheets did not provide for the recording of inspection findings as defined within documented procedures. Consequently, this may not have provided for the best opportunity to ensure potential defects were identified, recorded and monitored.”
General Electric, the engine manufacturer issued service bulletins (SB 72-0530 and SB 72-0531) requiring immediate inspections of PGB propeller shafts after the incident occured. Maintence manuals were also changed to include more ongoing detailed inspections. In the United States the FAA also “issued airworthiness directive AD 2018-03-13, on 14 February 2018, which required initial and repetitive visual inspection and fluorescent-penetrant inspection (FPI) of the main propeller shaft for affected engines.”
The aircraft was manufactured in 1991 and first registered in Australia in October 2004. At the time of the incident the airframe had accumulated 39 625 hours and 43 112 flight cycles and was fitted with 2 GE CT7-9B engines. Rex imported the PGB from an international operator in December 2015 and it entered service in March 2016 and had operated 46 406 hours and 42 872 flight cycles since new.
The ATSB found that Rex was following the manufacturers maintence documents and had rejected 2 previous engines in 2007 and 2011 “due to corrosion and missing cadmium plating on the propeller shaft and/or flange.”
In a press release, the ATSB Chief Commissioner Greg Hood said, “The ATSB’s investigation found the crew demonstrated a high level of professionalism in their communication, coordination and application of the safety checklist procedures in their response to the incident, which resulted in an uneventful single-engine landing at the airport. This was an extremely rare event, and the crew should be commended.”
Istanbul’s new airport will not open fully until the end of this year, a newspaper on Saturday cited the general manager as saying, two months later than an official opening scheduled for the end of this month.
The imaginatively-named ‘Istanbul New Airport’ has been under construction since May 2015 and is a four-phase project that is due to be completed by 2030.
It is estimated to have an annual passenger capacity of around 150 million people to become the largest-capacity airport in the world.
The opening planned on Oct. 29 was due to coincide with the 95th anniversary of the Turkish republic’s proclamation, which occurred in 1923. It now looks likely that the airport will only partially open, with Turkish Airlines operating a number of limited domestic routes.
The current space station crew is facing an uncertain departure date while the space capsule is grounded.
In a communication with Moscow State University (MSU) on Sunday, Russian cosmonaut Sergey Prokopyev – who is currently aboard the International Space Station (ISS) – recalled Thursday’s emergency.
“We watched the rocket coming out of the atmosphere. There was smoke from the rocket on the dark background of space. Then there was a separation of the launch vehicle and the spacecraft. After that, we saw just one point without a plume of smoke. It was a spacecraft with our guys,” he explained.
But Prokopyev, along with the other two crew members currently aboard the ISS – Serena Auñón-Chancellor (US) and Alexander Gerst (Germany) – are now facing uncertainty. Depending on the results of a probe designed to look into the Thursday incident, the crew could potentially be left stranded on the ISS beyond their planned December departure.
Luckily, according to the flight director of the Russian segment of the ISS, there are enough supplies on board to last the current three-member crew until summertime.
The Russian Space Agency plans to go ahead with the next manned flight in December. It could potentially take place a couple days earlier, on November 28, Interfax cited a source as saying on Saturday.
A flight attendant from an Air India plane before the scheduled to depart New Delhi from Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
The 53 years old air hostess suffered serious injuries. After the incident, she was admitted to Nanavati Hospital. The incident took places on Air India flight AI864 that operates on Mumbai-Delhi route.
Sources from the Mumbai airport reveals that she was part of the women crew. After all the passengers boarded into the flight she was closing the door for the pushback. As the door was a little bit tight she fell from the aircraft itself.
Flight attendant Harsha Lobo, who fell from a Boeing 777 (reg. VT-ALN) got a serious injury on her right leg. After the incident, she was conscious and was taken into an ambulance and rushed to the hospital.
Air India spokesperson was not available for further clarification on the incident. Following the incident, the departure of the plane has been delayed.