Explosion & gunfire at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul.
An explosion has taken place at the eastern gate outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, with gunfire underway and casualties and fatalities reported to local media.
- UDPATE US believes new attack on Kabul airport ‘highly likely’ in 24-36 hours – Biden.
- UPDATE UK will end evacuation from Afghanistan on Saturday: ‘we haven’t been able to bring everyone out’.
- UPDATE New satellite imagery published by @Maxar from today, at 10.15LT of Kabul Hamid Karzai International Airport: Abbey Gate and people boarding C-17 aircrafts.
- UPDATE Reported death toll of the Kabul airport attack rose to as many as 170 people, with at least 200 wounded, local health officials.
- UPDATE At least 103 people were killed in the two explosions outside Kabul airport.
- UPDATE The third explosion heard in Kabul was carried out by US forces to destroy equipment.
- UPDATE At least 72 people killed in blasts outside Kabul airport – including 12 US troops.
- UPDATE Four U.S. Marines Killed in Kabul airport explosions and 3 wounded.
- UPDATE At least 43 killed and 130 wounded in Kabul airport explosions.
- UPDATE Second explosion hits hotel near Kabul airport where Americans gathered for rescue ops.
Breaking new: second explosion rocks kabull airport.and reports of gun battles outside gates of airport. pic.twitter.com/O0bxi84Lq2
— Citizen 1 (@citizen1448) August 26, 2021
- UPDATE American servicemen reportedly wounded in Kabul airport blast.
- UPDATE Suicide blast confirmed at gate of Kabul Airport.
- UPDATE Reports of multiple casualties including fatalities.
Pentagon confirms explosion outside Kabul airport
We can confirm an explosion outside Kabul airport. Casualties are unclear at this time. We will provide additional details when we can.
— John Kirby (@PentagonPresSec) August 26, 2021
Earlier Thursday, a senior UK defence official warned that there was an “imminent” threat of a “severe” terrorist attack at the Kabul airport by Daesh-Khorasan, a branch of the Islamic State terrorist group.