A 47 year old man from the North West of England is under arrest on suspicion of making a hoax bomb threat aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Doha (DOH) to Manchester (MAN)

The incident came to our attention at 13:47 when @GMPolice issued the following report

Chief Superintendent John O'Hare, said: "An incoming plane has been escorted into the airport by the Royal Air Force as a result of information received by the pilot about a possible device on board. "We don't know how genuine this threat is but it is absolutely vital we deal with the situation as a full emergency. "As a result people will see the police and other agencies at the airport and on the airfield. "At this time I would urge them not to be alarmed. Our response will be as comprehensive as it is proportionate with the safety of those on board and in and around the airport our paramount concern."

According to unconfirmed reports, a passenger had handed a note claiming there were explosive onboard to cabin crew who alerted the pilot.

The Airbus A330-300 (A7-AEH) with 269 passengers and 13 crew on board was seen to make 2 circles over Derby before continuing its journey to Manchester escorted by a single Typhoon jet from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire as part of its "quick reaction alert role"

On landing, the plane was surround by "emergency services" and armed police boarded the plane and arrested a man. He was escorted off the plane by armed police in handcuffs.

In a statement a spokesperson at Manchester airport said

Flight QR23 from Doha to Manchester landed safely this afternoon after the crew on board had received a threat during the flight. Runway operations were temporarily suspended at Manchester while the incident was dealt with and satisfactorily resolved by the authorities.

The airport reopened after a 25-minute runway closure. A number of incoming flights were diverted to nearby airports. Passenger safety remains the priority of the airline and airport.

A total of nine flights were diverted to other airports (including 5 to Leeds) while a number of planes (including one carrying the Manchester United football team) were kept in a "holding pattern" until the airport resumed normal operations.

Following a search by police they issued a statement confirming that no explosive had been found.

Leave a Reply